Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Health Concerns and Delays

A few weeks back in Minor Setback, I went into graphic detail about a health problem I was facing at that time.  Since that time, its cleared up and then come back again, requiring another two doses of IV estrogen to stop the bleeding.  

The last incident was on Sunday; I missed one 12 hour shift of work because of it.  This week I've been to see my GP and a surgeon for a possible hysterectomy.  It seems my insides are too mangled for that procedure, making it a bit risky.  Therefore, I need to go back to my GP and get a referral to a gynecologist who performs a procedure called "endometrial ablation," which means burning the inside lining of the uterus.

Now, I'm not complaining about our health care system here in Canada, far from it.  I'm just annoyed that I'll have to wait another few weeks to see my GP again, and then a few weeks to months to see a gynecologist, and then a few weeks or months for an O.R. opening.  That annoys me a little.  If I've bled so heavily twice in the past four weeks, chances are good that it'll happen again before the "burning."

There are some things to be thankful for, though.  My bone marrow is working very efficiently at producing cells, so my Hgb actually improved the last time during the blood loss.  Contrary to what one would expect, I'm actually fairly energetic, working hard outside at my mom's on the yardwork, and getting ready to go for a walk/run with a friend in a few minutes. 

So perhaps I can utilize this time between my appointment today (where I saw that I was labelled "obese") and my O.R. date as a training period, to be in awesome shape for that day.  Everyone knows healthy, fit adults have shorter recuperation periods and decreased risk of infection.  And I'm all for that!  

My letter of referral from my GP to the surgeon also labelled me as a "smoker."  Ha!! Haven't smoked in 20 years!!

Oh well, let the waiting begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment